Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Re: pricing canvas prints....
In reply to mizzar, Nov 7, 2012

mizzar wrote:

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:

mizzar wrote:

How do you make canvas prints yourself? I tried ordering them online but the quality was terrible. Do you print on to canvas and then stretch it or do you build the frame with canvas and somehow print onto that? I really want to do some 12"x12" canvas prints but I don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Take care,

Kyle

You can print yourself and stretch over stretcher bars available at art supply outlets.

The problem with the canvas prints you got online is that there are many places that do a truly cr**py job. Good canvas prints cost more. BTW, many online sources of canvas prints are actually fulfilled by the same plant (in Virginia, if I recall correctly).

Some canvas printers are now offering a less expensive option to stretcher bars; they glue to canvas to Masonite and fold the sides. I tried one place that offers this method, but the prints were mediocre. I'd also be concerned about the lignin in the hardboard as I'm not convinced that they use any effective barrier to isolate the canvas.

A challenge you'll face with your 12"x12" prints is that at that size the texture of the canvas tends to overpower the image. I know a photographer who sells small square canvas on Masonite prints, but they don't meet my minimum standards.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Do you know of any good how-to's regarding this procedure? Can any printer print on to canvas? I had always assumed you needed some sort of special equipment but maybe I was mistaken. I would be open to making larger prints but there are various reasons why I want to start small. Thanks for any help you can offer or direct me to!

Take care,

Kyle

There are many online videos showing how to stretch canvas. You way want to buy canvas stretching pliers to help hold/stretch. But let me repeat that canvas works best for large prints where the texture does not detract from the image. It works best for 20x30" and up.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow