New to photography need advice on equipment for portraiture

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug MacMillan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,805Gear list
Like?
Not Yet
In reply to simpson1978, Nov 7, 2012

I have a degree in photography and was a professional photographer for 25 years before changing careers.  There's much more to professional photography than the actual photography.  In addition, the market is flooded by hobbyists like yourself who bring a lot of enthusiasm but little skills to the job.

Shoot for a while as an amateur.  Get a feel for how you want to approach it.  Location baby photography can be done with just a camera, good window light, a reflector and a few props.

Since you are in the market for a camera, I suggest at least a semi-pro one, preferably with a full frame sensor.  I also suggest you use prime (fixed focal length) lenses, with the possible exception of the Canon 70-200 f2.8.  You'll need a 50mm, an 85mm and possibly a 135mm.  I prefer using manufacturer's lenses.

Have fun with your photography class.  I've taught at a local university in their continuing education department on and off for 30 years.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow