Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,347Gear list
Like?
A Tale of Two (old) Zooms 28-135 vs 75-300
Nov 7, 2012

Grabbed a 'Secret Handshake' 28-135mm last month at a used shop for relatively cheap - been debating keeping it; as its reputation suggests it makes great pictures but is heavy, requires PP defringing, lacks reach and the front element is quite exposed without suitable hood.

Last week I got a mid-90's version of the 75-300 Minolta AF 'New' 2649-110. Dyxum reviews suggested this was the best iteration of the 13/10 element edition if you believe there's any optic difference between these later versions. It goes without saying the Beercan original (13/11) has better optics, but you can't get one for $70 shipped.

So I figured a quick unscientific comparison was in order, with the 135 cropped down. I find both have fringing but as expected the 300mm has quite a bit of purple around highlights, which is mostly fairly easy to remove in LR 4.2. I tried not to spend much time with either of these, so the colors and such are not 'show quality' or anything. I applied more sharpening to the 300mm.

(obviously the aperture and shutter speeds are considerably different here - I was purposely trying to 'stress' the 300 at wide open)

Not really trying to say the 75-300 'New' is an awesome piece of glass, but I think it should be considered by folks needing a bit of reach on a tight budget. I'll have a 'D' version soon to do a more apples to apples comparison.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow