Dropped my 5D Mark III - Send in for repair or not?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bobkeenan
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Dropped my 5D Mark III - Send in for repair or not?
Nov 7, 2012

I dropped my 5D Mark III.  It was on a Black Rapid Strap RS-4 strapped over my shoulder and then attached to a little ARCA plate arrangement I have.  I will probably write a post to my blog about this with the details.  But essentially I somehow either did not tighten the screw lock or it came loose on its own and sliped right out.  It fell about 2-3 ft on to a concrete sidewalk.  Ugggh!

Here is a picture of the ding it made.   I colored in the ding area with a black magic marker because I hate to look at it.  But it is more than just a scuff it pushed this dent area in about 1mm.

The lens looked ok but the hood was scuffed.  Later the lens behaved badly so I got it repaired ($250).   Its been about 2 months now since the drop and the camera still seems to be working fine.  Do you think I should send it in anyway.

The biggest problem for me is the loss in $$.   I like to resell my stuff when new cameras come out.  With this ding in it I bet my resale value dropped $500-1000.... or maybe its a keeper for life.  This brings up another question.   Will canon fix body issues like this so it would look new again.  And if so does that make any economical sense?

-- hide signature --
 bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow