Anyone had to have viewfinder or AF problems fixed?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AMM66
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Anyone had to have viewfinder or AF problems fixed?
Nov 7, 2012

After about two weeks of drying out after being dumped into water I can't get my a57 to autofocus (it will manually focus) and the viewfinder is dead.  Sony support can only give me a minimum cost of $123.82 (parts and extra labor not included) for fixing the camera without seeing it which is understandable.  I called the closest camera shop that does some in-house repairs and they would have to send it off to be fixed, but he feels that I would be better off replacing it rather than repairing it.  No, he did not try to get me to come to his store to buy another camera body.  He does not believe it will be cost effective to repair it and that there is too much of a chance that something else could go wrong with the camera due to being immersed.  This has also been a concern of mine.  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has had their viewfinder replaced/fixed or had an autofocus problem fixed and what kind of money it cost?  I've only had the camera body since June and this is the first time I've ever regretted not buying an extended warranty that included accidents.  My homeowners insurance might cover it, but since our deductible is $1000 that's a moot point.  The CZ 16-80 lens which was on the camera has dried out and I do not see any spots on the photos taken with it, but I swear I can see water marks on the inside of the lens.  I am thinking I need to send it in to have them take it apart and clean it if nothing else.  My main concern is preventing fungus.  Sorry for posting about this again, but I really am struggling to make the decision on replacing or repairing the camera body.

Angie

Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow