Is it still a good time to purchase the Panny 20mm, 1.7 lens?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?
Re: 17mm f/1.8
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Nov 7, 2012

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The only way to know whether the 20mm is better than the 17mm f/1.8 is to compare those two specific lenses directly.

Sure. And since we can't do that right now, the only thing we can do is speculate about how the 17/1.8 is going to stack up against the 20 in view of what we know about the performance of the latter and what we can expect from the former (based on prior Oly MFT primes). I offered my two cents about the outcome of the upcoming contest. That's all.

Be careful if you buy stock or gamble.

Past performance may or may not be a good indicator. Based on the E-P3, E-PL3, E-whatever camera, the E-M5 should have a very forgettable IQ.

I know. Trying to predict things on the basis of the past is always dangerous. On the other hand, it is often the best we can do.

And yes, the E-M5 is a good example. From my point of view, it dropped out of the sky. I hadn't expected Oly to release this type of camera at the time it appeared (although there was some loose talk about a "Pro Pen" to be released at some presumably rather distant point in the future) and I didn't expect it to have as good a sensor as it turned out to have.

But I think we are on somewhat safer grounds when it comes to predicting the performance of the 17/1.8. Some things are already known that indicates that this is an ambitious product and the means to produce it are presumably in Oly's own hands. They are not critically dependent on another party here as they are when it comes to camera sensors.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow