Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
remylebeau
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Re: No camera issue at all - studio flashes are different from speedlights
In reply to Nordstjernen, Nov 7, 2012

Nordstjernen wrote:

remylebeau wrote:

There is a situation where the difference is big and that's with movement. I was on location with a strobe and some wireless flashes, and I had to capture movement and the difference between 1/200 and 1/250 is the difference between freezing action and not.

Admittedly it's only in certain situations but in those situations there's no room for play. I'm looking into getting LED video lights to just avoid the whole issue completely.

Motion is just a problem when you are mixing flash and available light, i.e. with fill flash.

If you let the speedlites do all the lightning, the ultra short flash duration will freeze even very fast motion.

For studio flashes/battery pack studio type flashes this is a different story, since flash duration is much longer. To freeze action you need fast burning flash tubes, which comes at an extra cost, and never will be as fast as speedlights.

That's very true but that's why my situation was a little complicated. I needed to show the environment as it relates to the clients business, but at the same time bring the subject away from the background.

I don't think I'll try it with that set up again, the video lights are looking better and better as a solution rather than an option.

remylebeau's gear list:remylebeau's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tokina AT-X 17-35mm f/4 Pro FX +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow