FF lens on apsc, good or bad?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,263Gear list
Like?
Re: FF lens on apsc, good or bad?
In reply to Lawnmower Shooter, Nov 7, 2012

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

So I am in the midst of deciding on a portrait/street photog lens, sharpness being the most important attribute. I am wondering if anybody can help with a specific question regarding the sensor size difference. Since a FF lens on a crop camera only makes use of the center portion of the lens, do you get more resolution out of a top end APSC lens which you will use 100% of?

If this is the case it will dramatically affect my purchase so I'd like to know the truth of it.

It all depends on specific lens and how it is corrected.

If the lens is sharp out to a point and suddenly drops off near the edge of a full frame, it will generally be better on APS-C, but if a lens has a pretty steady decline from the center it will probably be fairly similar on APS-C.

As stated, APS-C sensors are usually much higher pixel density than Full Frame sensors, so they often require higher resolving lenses to look good.  A 12 MP full frame is about equivalent pixel pitch as a 5 MP APS-C.  Where a 16 MP APS-C is about equivalent to 36 MP full frame, which is going to strain lenses.

So if you have a specific lens in question we can maybe answer.  For telephoto prime lenses, there isn't much difference for APS-C vs full frame.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow