Sony Bundle Lens Kit Comparison: New 16-50 Power zoom Lens vs. Old 18-55 Lens

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,030Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Bundle Lens Kit Comparison: New 16-50 Power zoom Lens vs. Old 18-55 Lens
In reply to kjay80, Nov 7, 2012

kjay80 wrote:

I am a newbie, so opinions from the experienced photographers, pros are welcome!

I know there are lots of threads regardint to disappointment of 16-50 powerzoom performance, but is it really WORSE than the old 18-55 Bundle kit Lens?

I am trying to get either Nex 5R or Nex 6, but the bundle kit matters to me since I will be practicing my skills with an upcoming unit for at least couple years...

Any thoughts on the new bundle kit lens being that bad?

The 16-50 is that bad. It demands software correction to take care of vignetting, distortion and fringing to extents I never saw before in my many years in photography. There is in-camera correction only in JPG and only in recently released NEX cmeras.

The 18-55 is no gem by any means, but better in the center (sharper, deeper colors), and it doesn't have these outrageous amounts of flaws in the edges.

I had the 16-50 for a few days. Compactness over IQ to an extent I don't care for. Got rid of it, bought the RX100 instead.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow