Started Nov 6, 2012 | Questions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,505Gear list
Like?
Re: Sharpest zoom lens less than $1k ?
In reply to James O'Neill, Nov 7, 2012

James O'Neill wrote:

Lawnmower Shooter wrote:

Hi all, the title says it all. Looking for the sharpest I can get (average aperture range) for under a grand. AF is a must, and brand doesn't matter. I would like something as long as 100mm for portraiture, if it is longer than that, even better.

My vote would go with FA77 ltd [which I have], or FA43 [which I don't but I think has numbers its side ] If you want to photograph gnarled old men the FA77 is brilliant.

LOL! I was going to post a self-portrait i took yesterday with the 77.....

But now I'm not!

I don't photograph kids or women with it, it's SO sharp it's unflattering and I have to apply softening in PP. I use my 50mm FA f/1.4 for 80% of my portrait shots. Sharp, but not to the point as rendering each skin blemmish in near 3D like the 77.

I'm also getting very good results with my old 90mm Tamron (AIUI the current AF model is the same optical formula).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow