Why I don't foresee a FF NEX anytime soon.

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: This is why 24MP FF isn't enough
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 7, 2012

blue_skies wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

llkkmm wrote:

it would render these new very high end lenses largely obsolete, given that they are APS-C specific.

This is why I've been saying Sony needs about 54MP in a FF NEX -- that way, you'd still get 24MP for the APS-C crop. Note that, as a video-oriented camera, the FF E-mount VG900 didn't really have this concern to the same extent. Anyway, I'm sure Sony can make a 54MP FF sensor at a reasonable cost, just perhaps not with PD on chip... and I'm still thinking it's about time to loose the focal plane shutter for global electronic shuttering, which might also explain the delay.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.

... and you would get the same crappy high ISO noise performance as the Nex-7 or the D800. Imho, the RX1 and the D600 got it right. Besides, a 24Mp FF sensor would still crop down to a very reasonable 12Mp on APS-C, while ISO 12,800 becomes very useable. That's what I would prefer. Heck, even WA RF lenses may work, yeah.

I rather crop by swapping the lens than by pixel peeping in post. Plus, I can always stitch larger images together.

Ymmv

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Crappy high ISO performance of D800? Sorry, but you are an idiot.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow