Educate me: Sony new Alpha such as 77 vs Panasonic GH series

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,512Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, very informative...
In reply to Maverick_, Nov 7, 2012

Maverick_ wrote:

I haven't been happy with off the camera images from my GH1 at all. I have been actually very displeased with it. And because of this I haven't invested in the M4/3 much. I only have the GH1, which is in like-new condition, because I take care of my equipment and the 14-140 + 1 extra battery and couple of cases.

So, I could as easily jump to another brand. But I don't have any options besides Sony and Pana, because of how I shoot. Also, I need better still quality than video, but have to have world class live view. Sony has caught my eye with their new A77. It has great features.

Well, everything depends on how you shoot.

If you think that APS sensor will deliver you IQ you want, you can consider the whole range of DSLR from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc. - the difference between Sony cameras with translucent mirror and traditional mirror DSLR is not that big. (yes, you have live view)

The advantage of Alpha cameras family is wide selection of Alpha mount lenses.

IMHO, the disadvantage is a split of the light via translucent mirror: neither sensor nor EVF use the whole amount of light delivered, so expect higher amplification of signal on both EVF and sensor.

And the last thought: before you bought into new system, make sure it fits your shooting needs

__

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.
http://g1.img-dpreview.com/20AE148C45244CBE9FB1585EDA32B1C1.jpg

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow