Slow focus on the G1X? Really!?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
jboyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?
Re: Slow focus on the G1X? Really!?
In reply to TRUE LIBERTY, Nov 7, 2012

TRUE LIBERTY wrote:

Just got this camera 30 minutes ago. Took it out of the box shoved in the battery that had a small charge on it. Put in auto mode and Left one fluorescent light on in the house making the home very dark because its already dark outside. Began testing the focus around the house on different objects. Maybe im easy to please but I find the focus really fast. It seems I worried about nothing on this one. Then took off the watch on my wrist and snapped this quick one with the same amount of lighting and got a fast focus lock and came out pretty sharp. So far just having it a very short time im more pleased then I thought I would be. Plus got the great deal with printer and software.

thanks for the time...

I was a bit grappling with focus speed. Using P RAW+JPEG, I reduced the AF screen an have continuous focus off. I find the focusing speed pretty fast. Is it possible that some AF adjustments could improve what users claim as slow?

I also found that using the optical viewfinder(?) and keeping the LCD closed, provides for very fast AF. Arguably, the viewfinder could certainly be improved...

As far as being closer to the object than the lens allows... it happens all the time as I am shooting a newborn. A real PITA...

Still, an amazing compact!

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow