Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
Re: Overpriced product - just buy Sigma 500/4.5
In reply to Russell Evans, Nov 7, 2012

I was kind of hoping pentax would resurrect one of their stellar telephotos, slap some new paint with new coatings and viola we would have an instant hit. What we have now is a new design that most stores will not have on display and would most likely be a special order item that most will never get to see before buying. In this price range I may look online at reports about the lens and QC but the deciding factor would be the hands on review that I would do before buying.

When I heard pentax was making a prime tele I have my fingers crossed for a 400mm F4 this would give a useable wildlife lens fast enough for the morning and dusk & when we have the light a 1.4 conv for the added reach, this would have given many something versatile  for wildlife and sports. With the 560mm F5.6 it’s starting to get too slow for evening shots, a better way to look at it is the Bigma and 150-500  is only 1/3 of a stop slow than the pentax prime. This is one of  the limiting fact with the bigma was at dusk the performance dropped, the  560mm F5.6 may very well be sharp wide open but to slow for wildlife in the prime hours of wildlife photography. With the 400mm f4 /1.4 X comb as you lose the light taking off the converter would still give you a useable telephoto for that prime wildlife hours.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The most important piece of equipment in photography is the lens cap, if used incorrectly all your photo will be under exposed.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow