Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?
Weather resistance versus water resistance and the end of a D300s
Nov 7, 2012

I generally place my camera on the floor when driving. In fact, my camera bag generally also goes on the floor. An old habit, as it can't fall any further than that.

Well, a few weeks ago my D300s was on the floor of my vehicle after a drive up some dirt roads. Something must have gotten plugged up in the rain and because when I returned, the floor of my car was full of rainwater and apparently had been for several hours.

And my camera was in several centimetres of water.

I took it to Nikon the next day and my vehicle to the mechanic to find out how the roof drains got plugged. The latter was an easy fix but the D300s is no more. Amazingly, because of the position of the lens and the narrow placement of the electronics, my 85mm 1.8D survived the plunge.

A very sad end to a fine camera. In memoriam, here are some of my favourite photos taken with that camera. Comments and criticisms always appreciated.

I shall console myself in the Nikon full frame forum with my D800E.

Goodbye D300s, you parted from this world too soon!

-- hide signature --

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
Nikon D300S Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow