For those who contributed to my Sports thread. A99 thoughts.

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
copejorg1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?
Re: For those who contributed to my Sports thread. A99 thoughts.
In reply to Sol, Nov 7, 2012

Sol wrote:

Yes, the A900 is better for most of my sports, than the A99 would be. The A99 is vastly improved on its AF performance, and was a true pleasure to work with. And the A900 needs another frame or two per second on its 5 FPS. But the A99 slideshow effect is a deal-breaker. I know you understand it, but for those who don't understand this problem, as I didn't fully, until I tried it in real world usage. It's like this. If your are following a car driving down the road, or a bird flying by, and you flutter your eyes, no matter how fast you blink, you can still see the car or bird moving in real time. Yes, you have momentary blackouts, but you can still completely tract the movement. With this 'slideshow' effect, you see the same thing, but each sequential some you are blinking your eyes, the car or bird is getting slightly delayed in its timing. You still get the blackouts, but the timing gets off. This makes for a fairly messy situation in sports shooting, when most every thing your shooting is all about timing.

Sol, I'm kind of curious about something ...

Have you tried checking if the slideshow effect gets better (diminishes) when high ISO noise reduction is turned off, along with DRO and lens aberration correction?

There was a recent thread in which it was reported (and confirmed by several forum members) that the A99's RAW buffer depth improved significantly when the aforementioned processing features were turned off (even though they all are related to JPEG processing), and that doing so also allowed the camera to maintain its 6 fps burst speed more consistently than when those features were turned on.

It was postulated that the computational activity necessary to perform that processing -- even if it was only being done in order to make the embedded JPEG image contained within the RAW file -- was sufficiently intense to occasionally slow down the burst rate as well as to compromise the buffer depth.  So I'm curious as to whether this same phenomenon could be making the "slideshow effect" worse than it would be if those features were turned off.

If you shoot RAW, you'll have to switch to JPEG mode to turn off those features, and then switch back to RAW.  If you attempt this little experiment, please let us know how it turns out.  And here's a link to the aforementioned thread ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50181290

Best regards,

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow