Should hosts be more specific concerning rules?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
APenza
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Should hosts be more specific concerning rules?
Nov 7, 2012

In some challenges rules are clearly stated. No HDR, Color or BW only, certain subjects only, no more than 1600 pixels, must include title or border or both. I get that, and try to follow the rules as stated. What I don't get is when the rules say, "No major photoshoping", or "Minor editing such as exposure, contrast and such for small fixes is acceptable " What constitutes minor or major? What is a small fix? I shoot raw and post process in LR. Using Temp, Exp, Contrast, Shadows, Whites, Clarity, Vibrance, Sharpening, Etc. Is that considered major or minor adjustments? I have a 4 yr old P&S that has shooting modes that enhance color, sharpening and more without using photoshop. I'm sure newer cameras are even more capable. A JPEG from my old P&S looks better than any raw image from my newer dslr without post processing. And if the rules state "only exp, and contrast" how can the host know if the rule was followed? They can't, yet they will disqualify those that they or others claim that the rules were broken. For some I think if it looks too good it must be photoshoped, and maybe it is or maybe it's not, whatever, isn't photography a combination of both the original image and the post processing that completes the circle of what the photographer intended?

Would like to know your thoughts.

APenza's gear list:APenza's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow