DP2M: Which ISO setting?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
Re: DP2M: Which ISO setting?
In reply to Laurence Matson, Nov 7, 2012

Laurence Matson wrote:

200 for the best overall results with imager in the SD1, SD1M, DP1M, and DP2M. As the base ISO, this gives you the best combination of resolution, DR and noise. ISO 100 could be marginally better under some circumstances, but you better know where zone 5 is and use a hand-held spot meter to make sure the entire scene is within the DR. Zone8 will understand what I am talking about. Otherwise, there are not many people around with 1° spot meters these days.

In a nutshell, highlight recovery is a bit more difficult using ISO 100 UNLESS you have metered perfectly.

This was also the case with the imager in the previous generation, but there, the base ISO was 100. ISO 50 was great but just a difficult to meter.

Of course, your mileage may vary and there are plenty of "testers" who will debunk whatever I say. Sobeit. This does not change the engineering and the reasons for "boosting" the base ISO by one stop.

Thanks Lawrence.

I think I understand. Being also the owner of a Sony RX100, I've seen this before: the RX100 base ISO is 125 and the lowest ISO (80) is thought to be a pulled ISO with reduced DR. Sony even acknowledges this in the user manual.

I've used a handheld incident lightmeter when I was using a film camera, but I'm not going to that again. I'd rather use the sunny 16 rule.

Which bring me to my next questions:

1- Any gain in using ISO 100 (DR of scene allowing) for larger size prints as opposed to ISO 200?

2- How accurate is the histogram in the above cameras and how much can we rely on it?

3- What about using a +.3 to +.7 exp. comp. day in day out?

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow