Canon DR correction in G15 equals EXR?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,925Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon DR correction in G15 equals EXR?
In reply to CAcreeks, Nov 6, 2012

CAcreeks wrote:

You are talking in-camera HDR. Many models have it, however current CMOS sensors are still not fast enough to make it work as well as EXR. See image below. I have seen minor motion-blur from EXR, but nowhere near as bad as this.

brianj wrote:

One thing still puzzles me about the present need for EXR. When it was conceived it was about the best way the engineers could come up with to achive this DR increase, but the penalty was half resolution. That was back when slow CCDs were around, but today CMOS can fire off dozens of frames in a fraction of a second... I think its time fuji stopped producing EXR.

The X-Trans sensor certainly has enough high-ISO headroom, far more than Bayer pattern sensors, to make EXR obsolete. Whether Fuji will put X-Trans in a compact camera is as yet unknown.

Your right, I was just having a look at this thread since posting this idea and it is still too slow.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50201757

The new Casio EX-ZR1000 boasts some amazing speeds especially for video, I think technology is getting close to an alternative solution for DR.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow