Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Ogilvie
Contributing MemberPosts: 770
Like?
A99 vertical grip
Nov 6, 2012

Picked up my A99 grip today. No real surprises, nice layout, although I do wish there was a playback button on it.

One thing I do like (now that you can use three batteries all at the same time) is how the grip prioritizes power.  Previous grips drained battery 1 and then battery 2.

This grip looks at the power in the grip batteries first. It drains the one with the lowest power, then the second grip battery, and only then does it go for the battery mounted in the camera body itself.

That's smart, when you consider that the camera body battery is the hardest one to remove. It will be the one you have to remove the least.  Nice little touches like that are a real pleasure. There's a small rubber flap/tab that needs to be loosened on the body of the A99 to accept the grip (it's meant to seal the grip terminal) but the grip has a hole to accommodate that flap, so you don't actually remove it from the body. Another nice touch.

One more feature I'd love to see a grip have is a switch to prevent the front/real dials (main body and grip) from registering input in shooting mode.  I find myself often accidentally changing aperture/shutter speed when picking up and putting down the camera when using the grip. I've gotten more conscious of it over the years and better at avoiding it, but would be cool to have a way to suppress spurious input completely.

-- hide signature --

http://jamesogilvie.com (my portfolio)
-----
A99/A900/RX100 - a bunch of Zeiss glass and stuff.

Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow