Will the 24-105 be discontinued when the 24-70 f/4 IS is released?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quantum mechanic
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Will the 24-105 be discontinued when the 24-70 f/4 IS is released?
Nov 6, 2012

That’s currently all that matters for me about the newcoming lens. I’m about to get myself the 5DIII + 24-105 kit in the next few months and no, I’m not willing to pay a $/€ 500 premium for minor gains in size and weight and possibly in IQ but at the same time face a notable downgrade in the reach. For me, even the enhanced macro capability cannot justify the announced price point. Given that the 24-105 now sells at about $/€ 700 in the 5DIII kit, I have no interest whatsoever in the 24-70 f/4L.

At its price point it looks like the 24-105 stands in the way of the 24-70’s success. Given the current Canon’s marketing strategy I fear that the 24-105 is soon going to be discontinued, making the way for the 24-70 as a default kit lens with the 5DIII and 6D bodies, but overall at notably higher prices. Assuming that the manufacturing cost of the 24-70 is about the same as of the 24-105, this can be yet another attempt of Canon to increase their income on barely improved technology.

What do you think? Is the 24-105 going to live up or will it soon fade away?

quantum mechanic's gear list:quantum mechanic's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow