Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
konoplya
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?
In reply to Fayard, Nov 6, 2012

Fayard wrote:

Fallon,

Here is an easy way to know if you have any problems.

- Set your camera to JPEG fine and boost the sharpness to the maximum 9. I will be easier to detect where the focus is.

- Take some paper with fine text on it and put it on the floor. If you test your camera with a wide angle lens (< 50mm), add more sheets of text in the foreground and in the background. Put a book standing on the paper, facing your camera. The book should have some details on it so you can focus easily. Here is a picture of the setup.

The setup

- Set your camera at a distance d from the book. I would suggest d = 1.5m for a 35mm, d = 3m for a 85mm lens. Set your aperture to the maximum. Choose a shutter speed faster than 3 times the inverse of your focal length (faster than 1/100s for a 35mm and faster than 1/250s for a 85mm lens). Boost the ISO if you need it. Focus on the book and shoot the picture. Rack the focus to infinity, focus, shoot. Rack the focus to infinity, focus, shoot. Rack the focus to close distance, focus, shoot. Rack the focus to close distance, focus, shoot.

- Do that for the center, extreme left, extreme right.

Check on the sheet of paper where the focus has landed. There might be some variations from one shot to another, but not too much.

Then, post a 100% crop of the "Check your your camera has focused" part of the image for the left, center and right AF sensors.

thank you for the nicely described steps. i do have one question though: you turn the camera to align the left/right focus points on a certain part of the book (in this example's instance the barcode), right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow