Question: why people buy high end cameras for snapshots?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
lonewolf69
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,338
Like?
Re: Question: why people buy high end cameras for snapshots?
In reply to Addictif, Nov 6, 2012

Addictif wrote:

Something i notice in the Sony forum, more than in Canon & Nikon, is that, we see people that just take snapshots, buying top of the line A99's.
So, no, i'm not going to "rage against you". I just want to understand why do you spend such amount of money, just to take snapshots ? You like having the latest and greatest? Just a tool that will allow you to grown in photography? Just a gadget and you like to experiment new gadgets?

Many people changed from the A77 to the A99 ( not only here ) ... but again, only for snapshots. Or, the excuse of having the best tool to grow and progress in photography ... ( what, imo, its BS )

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.
Shooting with: A77, 16-50 F2.8, 35 f1.8, 50 F1.8 & 85 F2.8
Flickr @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/86235052@N06/
500px @ http://500px.com/pedrosombreireiro

Why does it matter to you if someone buys this type of camera as snapshot or professional...?  Sony has introduced a camera that is filled with all the latest bells and whistles that any CAMERA can have and some people are drawn to it regardless of skill set.

I'm speaking for myself, because I bought two A900 four years ago when Circuit city went under and had them for under $1900 each.  I have been shooting with Minolta for years in FILM so ALL of my lenses are FULL FRAME and I've been harping for a FF offering from Minolta for years and waited again with the A100, A700 and when available the A900 (fantastic price).

NO.  I'm not a professional by any means, but I happen to appreciate the technology and crafting of photography and I want the best tool to fit my needs that happens to be FF.  If the A850 were available at the time I problably would have gotten that instead.

For me it's about learning and growing with the system, I've gotten so much out of the digital realm from A100 to A900.  I'm not mentioning the A99 because as most of the members here on the forum know, I'm still partial to the OVF vs. EVF but if the A99 were available with OVF, and my A900 died, then the answer would be yes, I would spend the money again.

I think it be pointless to let my good glass be cropped by an APS-C sensor, so for me it's not so much "HIGH END" per se, it's a matter of FF, if/when FF prices go down, then it wouldn't be HIGH END models only...  Hopefully one day SONY will be able to introduce a BUDGET FF dslr/dslt model and then people wouldnt criticize other people for buying a FF camera regardless of price.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

-Alex From the minds of Minolta to the imagination of Sony, Alpha, like no other. www.pbase.com/lonewolf69

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow