Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,805Gear list
Like?
I was wrong about the Nikon V1
Nov 6, 2012

Due to the smallish 1" sensor, I originally thought of the Nikon V1 as P&S camera with interchangeable lens capability , but now having actually owned and used the V1 for a few weeks, I have changed my mind and have found the V1 could actually substitute for my Nikon D7000 for some of my photography needs. The more I use the Nikon V1 the more I am impressed with it's capabilities. I like how the V1 produces excellent JPEGs straight out of the camera and the Nikon CX System 1 lenses are sharp, and can be found at very good prices on eBay.

I think too many dismiss the V1's very quick shutter response and the lighting fast focus speed that nails the focus as the equal to other P&S cameras. The V1 actually much better. I have found that the V1 shoots more like a DSLR in decent light, and the image quality is comparable to, or better than, some DSLRs of a few years ago. (For instance, the V1 has better color and detail and less chroma noise than my Sony a700 did at 3200 ISO ).

This is an example of a straight out of camera JPEG taken with the V1 using the 10mm f2.8 lens that was downsized and sharpened for for the web. No other adjustments were made to exposure contrast or color, etc other than the camera settings. I think it looks very good for a JPEG snapshot.

Go to my galleries and click on the Large size to better see the image quality than is shown here.

By the way, the 10mm f2.8 Nikon lens I used to take this picture weighs only 3 oz. and only cost me $99 on eBay!

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow