Just people. CCC (constructive comments critique)

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Just people. CCC (constructive comments critique)
In reply to joseluisherranz, Nov 6, 2012

joseluisherranz wrote:

malabito wrote:

joseluisherranz wrote:

Just candids, expressions, people.......

Snaps of ordinary people and how they look and feel

All nikon d 5100 tamron 70-300 VC. Kind of sniper gear.

Honestly this dont do it for me, looks kind of like a paparrazzi thing, no composition, or intresting situation going on. Its more of a hide behind the bushes with a tele zoom and shoot people passing by.

-- hide signature --

Nikon 20mm 2.8, nikon 28mm 2.8 manual focus, Nikon 50mm 1.4, nikon 105mm 2.8 VR, nikon 70-200mm 2.8, sb-900, sb-800, SB-600, ...fuji x100, Leica M6
www.ailukewitsch.com
http://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malabito

And this is a reply for others to participate.

Which is more "purist" or acceptable, snaps of unaware people from the hip, with a long tele zoom, with a 35 mm. prime, with an iphone........?

Why is tele zoom portraits of unaware people so bad about ?

Is the way or gear used to take a picture more important than the picture itself ?

Please, your comments.

I think many of the comments to you pictures fit as answers to your question.

No it is not the equipment used. It is the fact, that you are not giving anything of yourself to the pictures; there is no explanation, no context, no way for the viewer to understand why you took this particular picture. We do not know why these people look so dissatisfied. It is just a bunch of pictures of people, taken without their knowledge or consent, not illustrating anything, not telling any story.

The long focal lengths are wonderful tools. They enable the photographer to isolate the subject by either blurring or leaving out of frame those distracting elements, that do not add to the picture. It is not the camera that takes the picture, it is you.

For a picture to arouse my interest, it must bear in it some kind of message, something I can relate to. It does not have to be "Don Quixote" boiled down to one picture, less will do, but there has to be something.

I don't know the legal circumstances in your country. I have just checked the rules here in Denmark, and although the rules leave room for interpretation, I doubt it would be legal to post them without the consent of the pictured persons. Personally I find it unethical, and I wonder how you would feel yourself, if you found your very unflattering picture on the Internet.

If you are shy and do not like to approach people to take their picture, maybe you should either find other, less complicated subjects, or practise your people skills on friends and relations who are willing to cooperate. What is your comfort zone might not be so comfortable to your subjects (or victims).

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow