Low light focussing with 70-200 2.8

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
tiko
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Re: Low light focussing with 70-200 2.8
In reply to mfouks, Nov 6, 2012

mfouks wrote:

I just got this lens a couple of weeks ago to use with my D800. I was shooting with it in North Carolina and had no trouble even at dusk. However, I was shooting in basement the other night with two modelling lights on (low power) and the lens could rarely find the focus. Then I switched to the 24-120 F 4.0 lens-pretty much the same settings (F8 or F11, 1/200 shutter speed) and and light conditions and it found focus every time. I'm just wondering why the 70-200 had so much trouble or was I doing something wrong or is there a setting I need to change.

Thanks,

Marsha

How far was the subject you were trying to focus on, and which focus point were you using? I find with my 70-200VRII if I'm using the outer focus points in low light to focus on a relatively close subject (~5ft) with the lens stopped down, the camera may hunt a while before acquiring focus. This doesn't seem to be a problem with other lenses, so I'm guessing it's a combination of low light, small aperture and shooting close to the minimum focus distance.

Also I think I recall reading that the cross-type sensors on the D800 operate best at f/8 or wider.

-- hide signature --

@AT

tiko's gear list:tiko's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow