Backpacking around the world. Olympus OM-D

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
Re: Backpacking around the world. Olympus OM-D
In reply to Project Revolife, Nov 6, 2012

Project Revolife wrote:

Going to be backpacking the world for a couple years. This will be my first real investment in a system camera. I decided on the Olympus OM-D even though not my ultimate wants but more than fits my needs.

Currently I have the 12-50 which will be my weather sealed multi-purpose lens. 50 being the longest I plan on going.

Question is, which combo?

Panasonic 14/2.5 + Panasonic 25/1.4

Olympus 12/2 + Olympus 45/1.8

Olympus 9-18 + Olympus 45/1.8 or Panasonic 25/1.4

I'm leaning towards the first combo for the ultra compact and classic low light capable focal length.

Which combo above would you take with you?

9-18 + 25/1.4 Would be my choice.  Personally, I wouldn't travel without a UWA lens.  I simply use my wide angle most often, and I can't imagine not having one with me.  You can't go wrong with the 25 or the 45, but I would go with the 25 because it is more versatile - especially if you have only one low light lens.  Pick the FL you use most often.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably buy a reconditioned 9-18, the 20/1.7 and the 45.  Then you have a couple of versatile low light lenses with you for a similar cost and weight to the 25 (relatively speaking).

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow