RX100 LCD - Useability in bright sunlight?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maike
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
RX100 LCD - Useability in bright sunlight?
Nov 6, 2012

I'm looking to replace my Panasonic LX1.  It's been a great little camera but frustrating to use outdoors as the LCD is almost impossible to see in the very bright sun we often get here in Texas.  I'd sworn the next compact camera I got would have a viewfinder option so was considering Panasonic LX5 and Olympus XZ-1 (now the LX7 and XZ-2 I guess), both of which offer an optional EVF.  Then along came the RX100 with larger sensor, rave reviews and the promise of an LCD you can actually see in bright sun, with the extra white pixels WhiteMagic LCD and Sunny Weather setting.  So I read the reviews to see if this actually works.  Two sites I like to check are here at dpReview for what I think of as a more technical review, and Steve Huff for more of a "how does the camera works in real life" approach.  However their reviews are contradictory in this case.

dpReview concludes "Screen hard to see in direct sunshine, despite WhiteMagic technology".

Steve Huff says "The good news is that the RX100 doesn’t have an issue with using the LCD in bright light as Sony uses their new “White Magic” technology that keeps the LCD viewable in even this harsh AZ [Arizona] sunlight I live with every day"

So what am I to make of that?

I know dpReview usually tests cameras at their default settings, so is it possible they didn't enable the Sunny Weather setting?  That seems unlikely.

Anyway, if some of you RX100 users could spare a few minutes to give me your opinion, I'd be most grateful.  Do you live in a location, or have you shot in a location, that gets really bright sun and, if so, how does the RX100 LCD perform in such bright sun?

Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow