EOS-M : First Day, First Pictures & First Tests (with 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens)

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?
EOS-M : First Day, First Pictures & First Tests (with 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens)
Nov 6, 2012

The Canon EOS-M atop the new Manfrotto Mini Tabletop Tripod and the Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens.

The LCD is very sharp and very touch responsive.

The EOS-M next to the Body-Only box that it arrived in.  The Lens mount was included.

That heavy 50mm lens is barely supported by the Manfrotto mini tripod.

Three-quarter View.

Side Profile View.

Just about the same size as the Canon PowerShot s95 !!!

First shot with the EOS-M was taken in a cafe.  It's actually just out of focus because I was too close... this was just outside of the Minimum Focusing Distance for this lens.

I shot this from outside my car window whilst waiting in traffic.  Sharp and crisp. (P-Mode)

Shot in extremely low light - not ideal but I was actually handling groceries with my free hand and shooting with the other using a non-familiar camera.  The narrow depth of field from this lens can also result in soft images in closeups and this one might be a good example.  Otherwise, it's not quite ideal but it captured the hopeful look on my cat's face as he was wondering if I'd brought him home some kitty snacks.

Here we go.  First pictures as promised and if you click on them you'll find they're all 1536 pixels wide... much larger than these stupid icon-sized images.  I like handling and using this cameras and it's a very compact device limited optically only by the lenses you choose to put on it.  I had to know how it would handle the Canon 50mm f/1.2L lens so I brought it with me when I went to pick up the camera body.  I may consider getting the excellent 18-55mm M-series lens when it becomes available as a separate purchase but at the moment it only comes with the kit.

There's a residual charge in the battery when I picked it up but that battery doesn't look too large so I made sure to order another one.  I was also forced to use the slower memory card that happened to be with me in my PowerShot s95 because they were out of the card that I wanted to buy.  It's a small body.  Easy to grip and handle with one hand - unless you do what I did and stick a great, big, heavy lens on the end of it.  I'm yet to try some of my other lenses but so far the results are the same as from any 1.6x cropped sensor DSLR camera... and that's excellent.

The Auto Focus with this lens varies in speed depending on the scene.  Something I did straight away was to switch off the Continuous Autofocus because the lens was always hunting for a target even when the camera lens cap was still on.  The speed indoors in low-light at night was fast enough to capture my cats for shots that my G1X was unable to achieve... and I happen to like that particular camera... it's just that trying to shoot twitchy animals is usually a tall order unless you have a DSLR at hand.

More images and thoughts to come on the next post after this one (continued)....

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow