Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 914
Like?
First night with Canon 60Da!
Nov 6, 2012

So, I have got myself a simple astro shed, a new camera, and finally, after waiting 2 weeks, time to test every lens and setting!

First of all, the camera is so much better at AP than anything else I have tried the last couple of monts.  Secondly, everything that could go wrong, did.  But after struggeling in the cold and dark for 3 hours, I got the hang of it, found the right lenses, what exposures that worked with the Vixen Polarie trecker, how much weight it could handle for how long, and etc. I even got my $40 wireless remote to work, so the last 3 images, that were the good ones, was done while I was inside eating warm, homemade pizza 

Off all 10 lenses I tried, the Leica R 60mm Macro was the best. (And this lens is actually now one of the cheapest Leica R lenses to buy used). Sharp from corner to corner, no CA, no vignetting. In fact, so sharp that the amount of stars became a problem!:

The Tokina was just as easy to work with, but the rising Moon gave the image lower contrast. I even got the Andromeda Galaxy up to the left (and the roof of my shed):

The best tele lens was the 180mm, and at f.4.0 most of the purple CA was gone. Close up of North American and Pelican Nebulae:

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Canon EOS 60Da
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow