First night with Canon 60Da!

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NoRules
NoRules Senior Member • Posts: 1,211
First night with Canon 60Da!

So, I have got myself a simple astro shed, a new camera, and finally, after waiting 2 weeks, time to test every lens and setting!

First of all, the camera is so much better at AP than anything else I have tried the last couple of monts.  Secondly, everything that could go wrong, did.  But after struggeling in the cold and dark for 3 hours, I got the hang of it, found the right lenses, what exposures that worked with the Vixen Polarie trecker, how much weight it could handle for how long, and etc. I even got my $40 wireless remote to work, so the last 3 images, that were the good ones, was done while I was inside eating warm, homemade pizza 

Off all 10 lenses I tried, the Leica R 60mm Macro was the best. (And this lens is actually now one of the cheapest Leica R lenses to buy used). Sharp from corner to corner, no CA, no vignetting. In fact, so sharp that the amount of stars became a problem!:

The Tokina was just as easy to work with, but the rising Moon gave the image lower contrast. I even got the Andromeda Galaxy up to the left (and the roof of my shed):

The best tele lens was the 180mm, and at f.4.0 most of the purple CA was gone. Close up of North American and Pelican Nebulae:

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

NoRules's gear list:NoRules's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax 645D Pentax Q7 Pentax K-1
Canon EOS 60Da
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow