Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415
Like?
RX100 image quality in good light vs Canon S95 or Sony NEX-5N
Nov 6, 2012

I would appreciate any comments from those of you that own both the RX100 and either the NEX-5N or Canon S95.  I am mostly interested in dynamic range and color depth at base ISO.  I see a lot of comments about high ISO and low light performance but I am more interested in how the RX100 performs in good light at ISO 125.

I take a lot of pictures while hiking and on vacation.  I enjoy photography but am taking pictures while on vacation and hiking, not going hiking and taking vacations in order to take pictures.  I have always been happy with the image quality of my Nikon D90 but its bulk and weight often keeps me from taking it.  I bought a Canon S95 to use when the SLR is too much but was never happy having to balance blown highlights and noisy shadows when I used it in high contrast situations.  It also did not have as much color depth and sometimes photos look sort of like a paint by numbers picture with a limited number of colors available.  I tried an Olympus EPL-2 but offered no increase in dynamic range so I sold it.  A year later I bought a NEX-5N and it has all the dynamic range and color I want but is still larger than I prefer.  Like the S95 it has issues with soft corners (with the kit lens) but I willing to give up a little sharpness for a camera that is half the size and weight of my SLR.

I do not expect a camera with a smaller sensor to match the performance of my NEX.  But I do not want to buy it unless it is noticeably better than the S95 I am hoping to replace.   Hopefully the RX100 could become the camera I use while traveling light and I could settle on either the NEX or SLR for everything else.

Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow