What's wrong with my soccer photos

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: What's wrong with my soccer photos
In reply to MinoltaDrew, Nov 6, 2012

MinoltaDrew wrote:

I've been taking a bunch of photos of my daughter's soccer games. Some photos come out great. Others, not so much.

Using A55, with Minolta 70-210/4 lens ("beercan"). Generally shooting shutter priority with high shutter speed (>500, often >1000) and F-stop as light will allow, but using ISOs of 800-3200 depending on sky, so generally in the 5.6-11 range. AF-C mode, although that doesn't seem to affect things.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. I don't think it's a motion issue - shutter speeds are high enough. Nor does it seem to be a focal plane issue, as the entire picture seems out of focus. Or something else is going wrong. Is it just chromatic aberrance? Something else going on? Any suggested fixes?

Could be sticky aperture blades. What happens is that the aperture does not close fast enough to the value you have set (e.g. to F9). The camera thinks the lens is at F9 and calculates and appropriate shutter speed. In fact, the aperture is wider and therefore too much light gets in and the picture ends up overexposed.

Try pulling back the aperture lever at the back of the lens and observe how quickly the aperture closes down again after letting go of the lever. If that doesn't happen instantly, the aperture blades are sticky.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow