"Pre-view" of Canon 24-70 f4 L: 'fluorine' coating!!!!!

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 714
Like?
"Pre-view" of Canon 24-70 f4 L: 'fluorine' coating!!!!!
Nov 6, 2012

I was intrigued to see that this expensive new Canon lens has a fluorine coating! Fluorine is, of course, an extremely corrosive, toxic, pale yellow gas which reacts with virtually everything, as illustrated by the fact that it will actually set fire to most materials, including glass, if they are finely divided.

Now I can understand the media not knowing much about the chemistry of fluorine but, to my mind, it raise the question of just how much of any reviewing process (by everyone, not just DPR) is a blind regurgitation of PR material.

Furthermore, I’m sure that the chemists at Canon responsible for the coating process would have known better, but I suspect their views count for little and that the Canon PR machine decided that ‘fluorine’ sounds very hi-tech.

Of course I may be wrong and so, as a precaution, I’d advise not touching the lens unless you want to risk deep burns which do not heal easily. What a wonderful way to prevent finger marks on a lens!

To be serious, the coating is perhaps more likely to be a (non-stick) fluoropolymer, of which PTFE (Teflon) is one well-known type, so don’t worry!

However, if anyone knows differently, please let us know!

Phil

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow