Considering Canon 70-300 L to replace Sigma 100-300 f4

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Questions thread
HAbba
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering Canon 70-300 L to replace Sigma 100-300 f4
In reply to bigfatron, Nov 6, 2012

Hi,

I used the older non-DG version on a 300D body in 2004. I mainly shot the lens on safari stopped down resting on a bean bag. Overall this lens is no lemon - if sigma update it with OS, I am sure it will sell very well.

With regards to af and image quality, I would say the af are somewhat similar. With the canon there is noticeable improvement in image quality. But where you get substantial improvement is in IS and size/weight, extra 30mm at the short-end.

I have spent more time shooting with the canon than the sigma - Kenya, India, Olympics and deer in UK. Overall as mentioned before go for it and I am sure you will enjoy the 70-300L.

One area that you may look into is in some situations the bokeh from both the 100-400 and 70-300 can be harsh (nisen-bokeh), I don't have enough experience with the sigma to have seen it on it. Here is a discussion thread on it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/40306621

Don't let this put you off the lens.

Regards

Hassan

HAbba's gear list:HAbba's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Samsung NX100 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow