Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
A99 JPEG's any better?
Nov 6, 2012

I know you wouldn't buy an A99 to shoot JPEG and I've owned the A77 for a year shooting 99% RAW images but occasionally the special features in the A77 such as in camera HDR have been very useful.

I recently spent a few days in the Yorkshire Dales and playing with my camera before leaving I left it set on JPEG by mistake. Half way through photographing some waterfalls on a tripod at ISO 50 with a circular polariser attached I realised my mistake and switched to RAW.

When I got back from my holiday and put the images through LR4 I was horrified by the JPEG quality compared to the RAW's. Now that the A99 is in the hands of owners has the JPEG engine been improved? I'm guessing the camera has the same special JPEG features as the A77.

An example of in camera HDR which is JPEG only taken hand held at ISO1600, 1/10 sec, f5.6 with the Samyang 8mm fisheye. I'd love to have this feature in RAW as there were a lot of artifefacts in the image.

Yorkminster Cathedral

George Evans
www.wirralpix.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow