Bottom line: Keep A77 AND A99 or just keep A77?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Bottom line: Keep A77 AND A99 or just keep A77?
Nov 6, 2012

I would lose a lot of money selling my A77 in favor of my A99, but I need some justification for keeping the A99 other than high ISO performance.  Admittedly, that IS huge to me... but I do have a 5D MIII that does it even better than the A99.  My question is, what  else will I REALLY gain using my Minolta film lenses on the A99 over my A77 using the same? I have 2 Sony lenses for APS-C and only Minolta legacy for FF. Since APS-C uses the a sweet center of the frame and A99 will show it all, won't I see a lot of soft corners especially at wide angle on the A99?  Does the A99 really buy me any quality?  I am only interested in "pop" and that extra-special-something that is undefinable with some cameras/lenses, like the difference you saw between medium format and 35mm in the film days.  Does the A99 offer that?  I don't need shallower DOF for what I do, and it's movie mode hasn't impressed me with great/better quality than the A77 yet.  And if you are thinking "why didn't you think of all of this before you bought an A99", the answer is I just needed to try it and feel it for myself.  So far, I have no complaints other than I hate the locked mode-dial and the joystick controller that has a rounded surface (both these things really slow me down).  Quality so far is good but I just am not sure if I see other advantages over my A77.  Please enlighten me.  Thanks, Bill

Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow