Capture NX2 or ViewNX2, the diff for basic RAW conversion?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,680Gear list
Like?
Capture NX2 or ViewNX2, the diff for basic RAW conversion?
Nov 6, 2012

I don't shoot a lot of images when I go landscape shooting, which is my "important" work. I used to shoot 4X5 in the film days, did my own darkroom work etc so am used to being slow composing etc with a high % of keepers. I never batch process images.

I'm coming from Olympus dSLR's and with them I would only use their software (studio) for the basic RAW convertion. Correcting WB and playing with what in Nikon speak seems to be called "picture control" settings. From there I would save as tiff, open in photoshop and do any further touch up, cropping, noise reduction (in layers) etc there. I'm very comfortable working in PS, have all the plug-ins and actions I find useful already setup.

I'm not looking for a new editing program or to relearn editing. I only want the raw software to do the very basic color/contrast/exposure stuff and mainly for when I blow it while shooting and the jpeg isn't editable (like way off white balance) without degrading the image. I'm also not interested in using a 3rd party RAW converter.

Used in this way, is there any difference between Capture NX2 and ViewNX2? I'm not seeing anything very important that one has the other doesn't for how I like to work. In the early olympus dSLR's the pay for "studio" had a different raw converter and some important raw options/sliders the free viewer did not. The raw files just processed cleaner and sharper with the pay for version. Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case with these two.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow