Naive EOS M vs. Ancient PowerShot Question

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Questions thread
RuJapan
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Naive EOS M vs. Ancient PowerShot Question
In reply to Jim Wong, Nov 6, 2012

Jim Wong wrote:

I apologize in advance if this is an incredibly silly question. I'm new here, and I've been following the EOS M autofocus performance discussions for a while because I'm thinking about replacing my aging PowerShot S60 which has begun to give up the ghost.

Specifically, I was wondering whether the EOS M's autofocus performance, as bad as it's been reputed to be, would be a step down than what I'm used to with the S60. At first, I thought there was no way this could be the case, given the newness (and higher cost!) of the EOS M, but I saw some data on other sites that gave me pause.

In particular, I was looking at the reviews of the S100 and T4i on dcresource.com. There, they listed the autofocus times for the S100 as follows:

• Autofocus (Normal light): 0.3 - 0.5 sec (wide-angle), 0.5 - 1.0 sec (telephoto)
  • Autofocus (Low light): ~ 1.0 sec

They also listed the T4i's performance in live mode as follows:

• Autofocus (Live view): 0.5 - 1.5 secs (STM lens), 1.0 - 2.0 secs (non-STM lens)
  • Autofocus (Low light): 2+ secs (live view)

Based on that data (and assuming the EOS M performs like the T4i in live mode), it certainly sounds as though a current model PowerShot is probably faster to focus than the EOS M in many (most?) circumstances. Am I misunderstanding something in my naiveté?

For what it's worth, I'm interested in autofocus speed because I'd like to get occasional pictures of my kids playing soccer. However, they're 6 and 8, so they're not moving all that fast - thus, it might not be as critical as it might be under more demanding circumstances.

Comparing to an S100 - the 22mm lens is slower in some conditions. The 18-55mm zoom seems faster in almost all conditions.

For your purposes, the EOS-M would be more difficult to shoot soccer than an SLR as SLR focus and tracking is better for this use. It could be more difficult to shoot than your powershot, as focus is not as big an issue with point and shoot due to the smaller sensor and bigger depth of field. But with the 18-55 and some practice, I think you can still shoot childrens soccer.

I hope this helps - I have no experience with your powershot model.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow