Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,903Gear list
Like?
Focus peaking - another viewpoint
Nov 6, 2012

Focus peaking worked flawlessly on my a77, as long as I used it with longer lenses.  It was especially good for birding, where you could focus on a bird amidst branches.

I also have it on my RX100, and on that camera focus peaking is near to useless.  The DOF of these shorter lenses means that the focus is so wide that you can't focus accurately since everything looks in focus.  And that is with the focus peaking set to the lowest strength.

So the point of this posting is to suggest that while focus peaking is nice, and I would like it on the GH3, it shouldn't be the one criteria that decides if you want to buy the camera or not.  It's just one of the features amongst many.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow