Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Video codec type and capture bitrate w. K-01, K-5 Mark II
Nov 6, 2012

According to a chart in Wikipedia, both the K-01 and the K-5 capture intraframe M-JPEG codec at 95Mb/second capture bitrate. That would be great of true, but I find it hard to believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_large_sensor_interchangeable-lens_video_cameras

Since the Pentax USA specifications say nothing about the type of video codec employed, nor about the actual capture bitrate used, I called Pentax to find out. They had no clue what I was even asking, ouch! So, if Pentax itself does not know about the video codec used in their cameras, or about the capture bitrate in Mbit/second, I am curious how the numbers showed up on the Wiki chart?

Anybody having any clue about any of this? Especially those who own a K-01 or K-5 Mark II and have used their camera to record video.

The cryptic specs on the Pentax web site state 24p/25p/30p frame rates for the K-01, and 3 different quality settings: Best -- Better -- Good.  Obviously this means nothing, what they should have listed are the actual video capture bitrates in Mbit/sec.  For the K-5 and K-5II, there is an additional quality setting called "Premium." I'm thinking, maybe that is the top-speed 95Mbit/sec bitrate? Specs also state for K-5 that it records only in the European frame rate of 25p and nothing else, is that also true?

I would also love to find out for a fact what the actual video codec type is used by Pentax -- H.264, MPEG-4, AVCHD, M-JPEG, whatever. The Wikipedia chart claims M-JPEG for K-01 and K-5, and H.264 for K-30.

This is not too much to ask from a camera manufacturer to disclose, Pentax does not, but I was rather stunned to learn they had no clue about it even when I called them at the toll-free number.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow