Latest opinion from Ken Rockwell about 2012 Nikon FX cameras. What you think?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wint
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Latest opinion from Ken Rockwell about 2012 Nikon FX cameras. What you think?
Nov 5, 2012

About that little affair with Canon

A reader asked if I'd gotten over that foolishness about Canon, especially now that the Nikon D600 is so good.

Uh, no.

If anything, what was just an affair is now a very serious full-time out-in-the-open thing. Heck, I even shoot Canon around my wife, and she's OK with it.

While my D600 is the best DSLR ever to have come from Nikon, my 5D Mark III is the best DSLR to have come from anyone, ever, period.

You have to read me carefully; the D600 is the best there is from Nikon, while the 5D Mk III is the world's best DSLR, period. I'm looking forward to the 6D I ordered, but with only one card slot, Canon cleverly made sure that those of us who absolutely, positively need our files will have to pony-up for the 5D Mark III.

All the 2012 Nikon DSLRs (D4D800D800E and D600) have serious color problems, if you're as serious about your color as I am. This too-green auto white balance error and screwy LCD color aren't acceptable. Nikon could fix it in firmware, but why should they bother when they can fix it instead in their next round of cameras, and get us all to buy new Nikons for their improved color rendition? The D700 and D3 have better color for this reason than today's cameras. Nikon had to take away something today to give us a reason to buy more tomorrow.

I've moved up to Canon, which doesn't have the color problems of Nikon's D4D800,D800E and D600. If I was sponsored by or married to Nikon, the D600 is it, but I'm only married to my wife, not a camera. Sorry if I'm not a factory pimp like you see in ads always pimping the same brand, but as a guy who does all this for a living, I use whatever's best for me. Canon wins this year — sorry.

Who cares? Cameras have nothing to do with anything. The only thing that matters isyour imagination. People who talk much about cameras rarely make good photos.

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow