Canon 430EX vs Nissin Di622

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,769
Like?
Re: Canon 430EX vs Nissin Di622
In reply to jut703, Nov 5, 2012

jut703 wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to buy an external flash soon, and I'm pretty torn between these models. I can't afford a brand new 430 EX II and my budget would be at most PHP 8,000 (175 USD). I'm only really looking at the following variants:

- Nissin Di622 Mark I (used)
- Nissin Di622 Mark II (used or new)
- Canon 430 EX I (used)
- Canon 430 EX II (used)

First off, is it okay to buy used flashes? How risky is it and how can I ensure that the unit I'm getting works properly?

Second, is the price difference between the 430 EX and Di622 worth it?
Depending on the deal, the Di622 could go for less than half the price of a 430 EX. What are the features of the 430EX that make it undoubtedly better than the Di622?

I find it weird that reviews of the Di622 are filled with praises for the unit and that it's basically as useful as the 430EX at a lower price, but users here in different forums have pointed out that it's prone to misfires and the TTL doesn't work very well. Do the reviewers miss out on this issue? This is perhaps the biggest factor that could sway me towards the 430EX.

Also, is it okay to get the Mark I version of these flashes?
For the Di622, the wireless trigger is the biggest difference. My 550D doesn't have a built-in remote trigger and I probably won't use the flash off-camera, so I think it's not much of a loss.
For the 430 EX, the mark II version could be controlled entirely within the camera body if I'm not mistaken. Recycles faster too. Are these improvements worth the price difference (usually $25-45)?

Lastly, what's a good going price for these models? I've seen a Di622 Mark I for around $80, a 430 EX I for $145, and a 430 EX II for around $190. I'm not really in a rush to get the flash so I could wait it out til a good deal comes up. If it matters, I'm from the Philippines and I can't really get items off craigslist and the like.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Also look at the Yongnuo flashes -  YN565ex, YN568ex, etc.

http://speedlights.net/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow