What's all this about Ken Rockwell?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: 18-200 mm lens for DX
In reply to gnagel, Nov 5, 2012

Commenting on your 18-200mm lens from Nikon and Rockwells review making is sound especially great. While this lens is one of the best of the superzooms at 18-200mm compared to some third party lens of same length and scored better than them, it falls very short as being a totally professional lens. I sold mine in favour of of 16-85mm DX for my backup D300s camera which is very sharp at 16 mm wide while the 18-200mm was fairly soft at 18mm wide in large prints which is why I sold it. It was okay at moderate zooms though with sharpening applied.

The superzoom is very handy for consumers though as family vacation lens, and many are very happy with it and it is a high demand lens. Sold my lens in less than a week for 2/3 of the original price. I have the 24-70mm for D700 FX plus other FX lenses for work. Depends on user needs and expectations. Rockwell is a useful resource for the learning photographer perhaps, pros can form their own conclusions about his reviews. Ken still recommends the 18-200mm for DX cameras and for regular consumers, I guess it does the job.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow