Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
This is what I call SHARP.
Nov 5, 2012

The original capture (4608x3456pix) was twice the area of the TIFF version of the image below (3426x2569pix) so I guess one could call it a generous crop. It has been resized to 1350x1013pix in JPEG without extra sharpening for screen viewing to be uploaded as you see it, to Lightroom Galleries.

suggest viewing gallery page at max resolution, wait 30sec to allow the monitor to settle down

+++

And this is what came out when I applied an extra 100% crop in Lightroom (1251x939pix) to the already cropped original image

suggest viewing gallery page at max resolution, wait 30sec to allow the monitor to settle down

+++

I have owned sharp combinations with Canon 1Ds3 as body and lenses like 35/1.4L and 200/2L and I can state that the combination of OM-D and 75/1.8 is in that league.

And what to say of the colour response? The purple/pink tones of this fading (ancient) rose are amongst the most difficult to deal with, for sensors and lenses: the slightest variation in colour temperature and exposure and off they drift towards orange, blue and white.

Water spray to simulate dew and to show the way highlights are managed, F8 (sacrificing some sharpness to diffraction) to obtain more DOF, tripod mounted, IBIS on.

Th 75/1.8 is too sharp for portraits, wouldn’t dare use it on the ladies of my generation and even my daughter Elena would ask me to “put on some makeup next time Dad!”. So the 45/1.8 will stay in the bag for closer shots and for more flattering complexions.

This was the test I ran just after unpacking the 75/1.8 as a quality control routine. The result was so positive that I felt it should be shared with my M4/3 friends.

Regards, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow