Started Nov 5, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Wong
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Naive EOS M vs. Ancient PowerShot Question
Nov 5, 2012

I apologize in advance if this is an incredibly silly question. I'm new here, and I've been following the EOS M autofocus performance discussions for a while because I'm thinking about replacing my aging PowerShot S60 which has begun to give up the ghost.

Specifically, I was wondering whether the EOS M's autofocus performance, as bad as it's been reputed to be, would be a step down than what I'm used to with the S60. At first, I thought there was no way this could be the case, given the newness (and higher cost!) of the EOS M, but I saw some data on other sites that gave me pause.

In particular, I was looking at the reviews of the S100 and T4i on dcresource.com. There, they listed the autofocus times for the S100 as follows:

• Autofocus (Normal light): 0.3 - 0.5 sec (wide-angle), 0.5 - 1.0 sec (telephoto)
  • Autofocus (Low light): ~ 1.0 sec

They also listed the T4i's performance in live mode as follows:

• Autofocus (Live view): 0.5 - 1.5 secs (STM lens), 1.0 - 2.0 secs (non-STM lens)
  • Autofocus (Low light): 2+ secs (live view) 

Based on that data (and assuming the EOS M performs like the T4i in live mode), it certainly sounds as though a current model PowerShot is probably faster to focus than the EOS M in many (most?) circumstances. Am I misunderstanding something in my naiveté?

For what it's worth, I'm interested in autofocus speed because I'd like to get occasional pictures of my kids playing soccer. However, they're 6 and 8, so they're not moving all that fast - thus, it might not be as critical as it might be under more demanding circumstances.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS M Canon PowerShot S60 Nikon Coolpix S60
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow