Mirrorless or entry-level DSLR?

Started Nov 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pootle2
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Mirrorless or entry-level DSLR?
In reply to xAoiSora, Nov 5, 2012

I would focus on your travel requirements.

What do you want in a travel camera? Is pocketability important?

If it is NOT then I think something like the Nikon D3200 gives better bang for the buck than a M4/3. If it IS important than I think a M4/3 like the Panasonic GX1 with the 20mm pancake prime is nicely pocketable and you can carry around the kit zoom if you need/want a zoom lense. In both cases places like adorama or bhphoto can supply the camera and lenses within your budget.

I'm not convinced that the larger m4/3 cameras (OM-D, G5, etc.) are any better a buy than a D3200 or equivalent for your specific needs.

For me I have to want to take a travel camera with me in the first place (for me that means having nothing hanging around my neck) and then when the opportunity arises it has to be comfortable in my hands so that I want to take it out of the pocket and snap a shot. Honestly, picture quality is secondary (picture quality doesn't matter if I never bothered to take the picture in the first place).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow