Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Nex-7 Video Rocks!
Nov 5, 2012

I have been a still photographer for many, many years. It's been a real blast changing from film to digital. I mostly like to shoot our Planet. Until the last couple of years, I have been experimenting learning and training myself bout video. It's an escape for me when I shoot video,

cause now I'm looking at things not only from a still perspective but I have to compose so differently, like studying the light in a scene to be shot, light now moves as the camera does. Framing, one of my favorite aspects of both stills and video, changes completely. Its now in the beginning, in the middle, and the end, framing is dynamic, and focal points can change like the framing aspects, then you add camera movement, there are no rules here, It's not just portrait, landscape, or a slight angle. I'm actually falling in love with landscape video. It's so much more deeper for me than just stills.

Don't get me wrong anyone, I love stills also. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year, and I have focused on it over the years with dedicated trips shooting stills. This past fall 2012, I decided to take a trip to South and North Carolina, and Tennessee to shoot fall video exclusively.

I have produced a short fall landscape about rivers. I love rivers with big stones and boulders, clear water, it's so relaxing for me, I grew up as a kid spending many a day fishing and just enjoying flowing waters. I hope this does not sound too sappy! It's just where I'm at now in my life I guess. Anyhow, this video production was entirely shot using my Sony Nex-7 with a 18-200 mm lens, (First one, silver). Here is the link, enjoy. https://vimeo.com/52818226 I would recommend a nice set of headphones or good speakers other than most laptop speakers. The audio makes this video for me. In case anyone sees my other threads about me ranting on about the Nex-7 overheating, I still feel the same way, it's just that the work around is frustrating. I think the Sony Nex-7 is so close to being not just a great camera, but a phenomenal one. They just missed a few things short of getting there in MOP. I love the Nex-7, but darn, this GH3 that's coming out has me salivating.

Dpreview, I think it's time you added a forum for Video, and a Gallery for Video enthusiasts. If you do, make it better and maybe a different focus than Youtube or Vimeo, with an emphasis on quality and more on technique, styles, Gear, so much here is missing in the reviews side of video on the cameras.

Wish Fall lasted 3 Months!

Leon

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow