Started Nov 5, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
defect or normal? (5n.. f3/5r?)
Nov 5, 2012

Just received a new 5n a few days ago and noticed that if I try to focus on a subject that's too close for the lens, after a few failed focuses, a green dot in the lower left begins to blink, and the shutter button beomes unresponsive for focus or firing a shot. it stays in this state for maybe 30 seconds even if i point the camera elsewhere. it eventually comes out of this state, but not sure what, if anything, I did to make that happen.

Question: Is this expected behavior or do I have a defective unit that I should send in for warranty repair?

Question: If it's normal, can someone confirm whether the f3 and 5r have this issue? My nex 3 does not do this.

By the way, I also noticed my new 5n has trouble focusing in dim light even when using the af assist lamp. I tried focusing on the edge of my desk from a close distance but beyond the minimum focus distance and focus moves in and out past the point of focus and gives up. I noticed the focus peaking also isn't highlighting the area in focus if I try to focus manually. I'm guessing not enough contrast. I haven't had a chance to try this with my nex 3 yet.

Aside from that, I'm liking the output from 5n and kit lens so far.

Thanks.

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot S95 +1 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow