Why so many hate Sony?

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom2572
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
Re: Three things.
In reply to sensibill, Nov 5, 2012

sensibill wrote:

1). Put simply, ignorance and intolerance of cameras not Canikon. I went to a small camera show yesterday and the attitude (especially among the older attendees) was that anything not of either of those brands was irrelevant. Moreover, the selection was about 99% those two brands. There was so little 'off brand' stuff that Leica seemed the dominant non-Canikon flavor, what little of it there was. There's the fact that some old-timer photographers were raised on one or the other in the 35mm days and to go with anything else seems tantamount to blasphemy.

2). Sony does indeed have a poor reputation at the consumer level and some folks don't trust them... I've been among those, myself. Their handling of public relations, product support, marketing and general customer treatment in the game console and PDA genres has been notoriously bad.

3). There's a degree of particularly aggressive advocacy from a few Sony fans. When I was getting into my E-PL1 in 2010, the NEX spamming/trolling was excessive in the Micro 4/3 forum. I've also seen OP of this very thread leading the 'charge' in many threads in various non-Sony fora.

So I wouldn't say it's a total mystery as to why it happens, though I think the Sony haters do exist, and show their bias when they bash a new product like the RX100 or A99 regardless of value and performance.

I think #2 is more pertinent to this than people give credit. While brand loyalty bleeds into all conversations of this sort, the particularly aggressive nature of comments toward Sony can only be explained by the fact that Sony has produced 1000s of various electronic products over the decades which greatly increases the chance that any one person has had a bad experience with a Sony product overall, which is then manifested as a higher amount of ill will toward Sony Alpha from photographers than you see with brands such as Pentax. Under that theory, my guess is Panasonic would also receive the same treatment if they produced higher-end gear the way Sony does.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow