Anyone planning to migrate to Windows 8 on a desktop or notebook/laptop

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,288
Like?
Re: Anyone planning to migrate to Windows 8 on a desktop or notebook/laptop
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Nov 5, 2012

Jeff Peterman wrote:

As you may have seen above, I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. Just curious, have you run into this bug I've mentioned above:

After installing and running Win8 a few days, the search tool and All Programs option failed; with the search tool, the system would hang after a the first letter and then drop down to the desktop, and the All Programs button just returned a blank screen, forcing me to press the Windows key to get back to the desktop. I finally restored my system from the Win7 clone I made before installing Win8 and then re-installed Win8. Everything was fine for about a day until after I had to restart because of a Win8 update, and then the search/All Programs problems came back.

Now that I've installed Classic Shell I don't need the All Programs button, and I can search if I just start typing on the desktop, just not if the search box is open when I start typing.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com
http://i.pbase.com/t4/89/46889/4/143706232.M9mg6pc5.jpg

I had a similar problem that cropped up on the very first day.. It turned out to be a problem with the driver for a USB 3.0 card that I had mistakenly plugged my wireless keyboard/mouse into.

I had not intended to plug them into USB 3, but I wasnt looking closely enough when I plugged them in... I hadnt found the driver for the USB 3 card and Windows 8 didn't support it natively.

Windows 8 treated the USB 3.0 card as USB 2.0 (I think) but it didnt work well and the mouse/keyboard would "drop out" making it appear that the computer was frozen or certain things (like the programs list) would go blank.

Once I found my driver disk and installed the proper driver, Windows Update did an update on the driver, and all is well.. so I'll call that problem "a hardware problem".

Since that first day, I haven't had any other problems with it, but I dont think it has anything that is a REAL advantage over 7 (Pro or Ultimate).

I really only got it because the upgrade to Windows 7 pro was far more expensive.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow